Monday, March 10, 2008

Tailored Cabochon


I learned wire wrapping up in William Holland Lapidary Arts School in Young Harris, GA in Sept of 2006. When I first started ww I wasn't too sure that I liked it. I had a great teacher but I left thinking that I wouldn't be doing too much of that! I did pieces off and on for the past 1 1/2 years but it wasn't until the past month that I've gotten into it full force. I have collected so many cabs and I have been making some of my own cabs that I have had a lot to choose from. My one big draw back was the wire. Sterling silver is so expensive. I try to keep some sterling in stock but it's usually round for making jump rings. I didn't want to go to the expense of buying the square and half round wire needed for wrapping! Finally I decided to try it with the round wire. I used my favorite wire Para Wire and started wrapping using a smaller gauge for the actual wrap. They turned out great! So I kept going. I'm not fond of all the "frou, frous" at the top. I'm more the tailored person. The picture shows a picture jasper cab I came up with last week and I'm really happy with it! Now back to work to make more!

No comments: