Monday, June 18, 2007

My Garden


I finally got a garden planted here in Florida! I've been here 2 1/2 years and have not really attempted to plant. This is very unusual for me since I've always had a garden of some sort. Florida planting puzzles me! I'm from Long Island, NY and am used to the short planting season and lots of moisture! The rain pattern is so different here. I think that Florida depends on short periods of very heavy rain whereas NY has days of overcast and rain. The soil is so different. It's very sandy so it needs to be supplemented. The bugs! I was awake half the night with the mosquito bites! Actually, there was this little bugger that found me and followed me around Home Depot's garden center. I would have bought more but I had to get away from him! I have at least 10 bites on me and I never was able to get him!
I went to Horizon Nursery in Vero Beach for the bulk of my plants. Great service and their knowledge about Florida planting is unbeatable! This will be the first of a few gardens that I will be doing here. I want to see how this one survives the summer before I plant the front of my house. The nice thing about planting here is I can do it in my swim suit and then go and jump in the pool to cool off.....which is exactly what I did!

1 comment:

Athena's Armoury said...

Your garden looks pretty. I'm a Long Islander in FL, too, now! Originally: Massapequa Park. Now: Clearwater. You?